Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dog Park Sensory Box!

We finally got around to making a dog park sensory box, I mentioned wanting to do this in the Wizard of Oz Sensory Box blog post, and it's finally done!


To get the dry rice green, you need to mix green traditional food coloring (not gel for this project)with vinegar, if you were to do this with water I imagine it would eventually make the rice soggy and gross.  Mix the rice with the vinegar mixture in small batches and the color will start to bleed into the rice. Once it's all mixed spread out the rice onto dry towels to get any bid of moisture out, it seemed to dry quickly for me (in dry Montana). It does make a crackling noise when it's drying - kinda fun! I let it sit and completely dry for about 2 hours before putting into the box.
Then I gathered all the doggie themed today and we put together the dog park!
 I just mixed it on the lid of the box so there were no puddles of vinegar mixture anywhere.

As you can see the rice won't all be the same color, some came out more green some not nearly as much color was picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment