Thursday, April 3, 2014

Wizard of Oz Sensory tub!

Let me preface with this:  I loved the Wizard of Oz as a child (after I got over my fear of the scary flying monkeys). I always seemed to get Wizard of Oz themed gifts for birthdays and Christmas, so I've got a nice little collection of  Wizard of Oz memorabilia.

The other day I was rummaging through a box of some of my childhood toys and found all these plastic Wizard of Oz figurines! Yes, part of Tin Man's arm is missing.  One of our dogs growing up is to blame for that... If your interested you can actually still find them on eBay.  They're from the 80's.  I knew my daughter would love to play with them! I also knew she'd get bored after a short while, unless I could incorporate them into a sensory tub....  The hunt was on for something yellow for the "yellow brick road."  I picked up some popcorn kernels. The Great Value brand at Wal-Mart was less than $4 for 2 bags. I added some silicon cupcake liners, and some little shape connecter plastic things (whatever they're called).  Then ta-da!  This sensory box creation created at least 1.5 hour of fun sensory play the first time she saw it!

 
 
 
 


 I have some rice that I picked up too that I'm planning on dying.  I have to do some google-ing on diy instructions for that, and I'm then going to make another sensory tub.  I think it's going to be a dog park sensory tub, so stay tuned for that!  I believe sensory play is really important for all little children, and when it's this easy to make happen, why not!

No comments:

Post a Comment